Tuesday, October 16, 2007

India grows on you...
























So... if I tried to catch you up on all that has happened since my last post it would not be possible. Sorry. But, I'll do my best to hit some high points.

Volunteering at Kalighat has gotten much easier as time has passed. I'm no longer in shock from all that I've seen. It's actually one of the best jobs I've ever done. By that I mean, I go home each day satisfied that I've actively helped others. The thought of going home and working a "normal" job where I'm just working to support myself financially seems weird to me now. Sorry, but it just does... I've gotten to know several of the patients fairly well (language barrier permitting) and each morning when I arrive for my shift I spend several minutes doing my rounds and saying hellos to all. It's very fun!















We lost another patient the other day, an old man who had severe burns on the bottoms of both of his feet (I never did get a straight story on what happened). Earlier that day I found him face down on the floor, he had fallen off of his cot. Poor guy. I hate to say it, but it's almost a relief that he's passed, he was in SO MUCH pain every day. He had been refusing to eat for the last several days and would wail with pain each time we changed his bandages.

The other day Ramadan ended with the celebration of Eid. In Kolkata, I live in a primarily Muslim neighborhood. It was a great change from the normal busy sweltering days of Kolkata. Many of the businesses were closed, the street were strung with festive lights, and people were partying in the streets. Meredith and I got cornered by a rather rowdy group of celebrators and they made us dance with them for a while. They were playing this crazy Indian techno. So... there we were... dancing and celebrating Eid with a bunch of Muslim people partying in the streets of Kolkata. Crazy huh? I thought so.














Meredith and I are currently taking a few days off for a little R & R with a trip to Darjeeling, India (quite possibly the most beautiful place I've ever seen!!!). Tomorrow we are going on a short 2 day trek into Nepal. I'm so excited! Seriously, I cannot rave enough about the beauty of this place. There are Buddhist monasteries everywhere, amazingly scenic Himalayan mountain backdrops, and fir trees and ferns that put America's Great Northwest to shame. No joke. I now want to live here! Hmm...

Anyway, I cannot tell you how much I am loving the people of India. They are so hospitable. Everywhere I go people open doors for us, offer us special seats, go the extra mile... it's really amazing. I'm sure there are many other stories I could tell, but I've got to get to bed soon to wake up for my trek!

Love, Jeremiah

No comments:

Post a Comment